Tuesday, September 2, 2014

no labor intended

this labor day weekend I went on a little fam vaca to Pine Mountain, Ga with my family and my Dad's twin sister's family <3 it was so nice to get away and spend some good quality time with everyone. We were celebrating labor day with full intentions of not doing any labor-intensive activities :) we were also celebrating that my sweet Nana is 87 and still kickin'. AND we celebrated my Dad, Aunt Lynne, and Kelly's birth but to stay on their good side I wont share their age ;)

I decided to make a few sweets to take along...

the bars I made turned out awesome...they are kind of hard to mess up! you can find the recipe here. if you don't have one of these choppers you are missing out! i chop EVERYTHING with it. pecans, tomato, onions, literally everything! the pecans go in the crust of the bars and then the top is pretty much butter and sugar <3
here's my finished product...nana approved! 

and then I made my version of a guilt free blueberry cake...I wish I could say it turned out great and everyone loved it but lets just say I'm going to make a few changes and try again...blueberry cake to be continued

so then Friday our family took off to Pine Mountain and while there Kelly and I (but mostly Kelly) make tomato pies for Sunday lunch, or in our family, dinner.
On saturday we went shopping in Pine Mountain where my sweet Aunt Lynne found these herb cutters and got all the girls a pair. i LOVE mine and was so excited to use them

I chopped all this basil for the pies in no time with mine


so this is all from Kelly's directions I can't take any credit for it but I had to share because they were so delicious 
start with roma tomatos slice and let them sit in a colander to drain as much of the juice off of them for about ten minutes then if you need to lay them out on a paper towel to dry some more that works too.

start with a pie crust and let it bake in the oven just to get it a little brown

first layer...tomato slices
second layer...a little salt and pepper, green onions, basil, and bacon bits
third...tomato slices
so keep doing that until you have about three layers of tomato and two layers of the onions, basil, and bacon.

then you want to mix up the cheese topping.
cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and mayo...healthy right?
I don't have a good measurement because we made three but I would say about a cup of each cheese and then slowly add in the mayo until its covering all of the cheese.
maybe this picture will give you a better idea of what the cheese mixture should look like. I wish I had a final picture but we were in to big of a hurry to eat it for me to snag a picture. 

we also did some antique shopping which I loved but to avoid being all over the place in this post I'll come back tomorrow to share my favorite finds


No comments:

Post a Comment